5.29.2013

[Foodie] Kale Talk

I feel like as a whole our society focuses a lot more on health and fitness as a means to an end in terms of physical appearance. I'm guilty of this even now! I'm hoping to educate myself--especially before I get settled into the real world--on living a healthy lifestyle as opposed to just doing a diet or fitness regime in the hope I get a hot bod. I'm still hoping for the hot bod, but I'm hoping it comes as a result of healthy eating habits and regular exercises--whether it be getting out more, enjoying the gym, or what have you. 
Okay, so can we talk about kale for a minute? Unless you live under a rock or live in a world of junk food, you've heard kale touted as one of those "superfoods." It's up there with almonds (which I'm sadly allergic too), salmon, avocado, etc. I never really understood why though, hence why I'm putting up this infograph for you to reference. I don't know why they list fat and calories as lows... From everything I've read, though, kale is literally crazy good for you. Like from the claims people make, I feel like someone who lives off of this stuff will become a superhuman herself.

Anyhow, I finally bought myself some at the grocery store to use as my "leafy" portion. I usually buy salad mix, but the prices now that I'm paying for myself make me blanch a little. I usually get lettuce or spinach, but I thought I'd try kale this time (I don't eat enough leafy goodness yet to justify buying all three! Someday). Guys I love it. I'm still getting used to the taste raw, but using it in a sautéed mix of veggies and chicken--it tastes delicious. I'm currently making some kale chips, so I'll give you a few recipes to get yourself started. My next attempt will be with salads.

 R E C I P E S
I couldn't come up with a clever name...
Ingredients
  • Shredded Chicken
  • Mushrooms
  • 1/2 Cubed Avocado
  • Chopped Red & Green Peppers
  • Chopped Kale
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper 
  • (Optional) Some Mozzarella or Cheddar Cheese
Directions
  1. Put some olive oil in a pan on medium to high heat and add pepper and salt.
  2. Cut up mushrooms. (I'm bad, I just use my hands and pull them to pieces!) Add to pan
  3. Once mushrooms are pretty coated, add in the rest of the ingredients except the chicken and avocado.
  4. Put a little more olive oil. Add salt & pepper as you like.
  5. Add shredded chicken.
  6. Then add avocado.
  7. Satuée until everything is considerably cooked through.
  8. Enjoy!
I should probably have let it soak in the oil & spices more...
Ingredients
  • Kale leaves
  • Olive Oil
  • Spices (pepper and salt for me)
Directions
  1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a bowl (or bag) mix kale leaves with olive oil and spices as you like.
  3. Smooth out on a baking sheet on top of a paper towel.
  4. Put in oven for 35 minutes.
  5. Enjoy!
IT'S REALLY, REALLY GOOD!
Ingredients
  • Kale
  • Ice
  • 1 Orange
  • 1 Banana
  • Some milk
Directions
  1. Blend kale, milk, and ice first until liquefied
  2. Add in orange, blend.
  3. Add in banana, blend.
  4. Serve & Enjoy!
(Anything I didn't give an amount for--just eyeball to what you like! I don't measure any of it, just use what I'm craving to guide me)

Got any yummy kale recipes? 

No comments :

Post a Comment