7.07.2013

[Book Club] Good Movie, Good Book

WARM BODIES
by Isaac Marion
So I saw the movie, Warm Bodies, first. I love, love, love Nicholas Hoult--not just because he's British and bears a striking resemblance to the guy I had a ginormous crush on in my early high school years--, and my friend texted me and asked me to go last minute. I had never seen the trailer and didn't even know what I was going to watch, so I was extremely and pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Also, Nora, Julie's best friend, is none other than ANALEIGH TIPTON. Loved her on ANTM, and, like I promised four years ago, I've been keeping tabs on her career. She's been making a calm entrance into the acting world, and I'm so excited to be seeing her in some of the bigger movies (she was also in Crazy, Stupid, Love!) with a substantial role.

Anyhow, back to the book review. I got the book on my Kindle Fire, and I just finished it recently now that I've had time for free reading. It's a really clever book, and it's totally commercial fiction (which, I don't care, I love). There's a lot of Romeo & Juliet allusions (the names for one), and there's a lot of interesting commentary on the way our generation and society as a whole is in danger of becoming. R is an intelligent zombie with a lot of thoughts and opinions. You get a lot of the story fleshed out in the novel that you don't get as much of in the movie. This is going in my book club purely for its really interesting observations on how zombies came to be and how the cure is eventually found. My favorite quote:
"Peel off these dusty wool blankets of apathy and antipathy and cynical desiccation. I want life in all it's stupid sticky rawness."

No comments :

Post a Comment