1.04.2014

On Why I Kind of Like Being Single...

Trust me, before you roll your eyes and think this is going to be another one of those articles, it's not. I don't necessarily have the anger that chick does towards young, engaged/married couples. No, this is solely about why being single right now works for me, my personality, and my near-future life goals. As the girl who would squeal over kissing scenes in any move, whether it be The Goonies or Bridget Jones's Diary, I am fully the type of person who buys right into the promises of romantic comedies and the romance genre in general. I love a good love story, whether it be tragic, realistic, youthful, older, sweet, etc. I thought The Notebook was fantastic, the first five minutes of Up had me bawling like a baby, and my all time favorite movie is A Walk to Remember. I'm all about finding the right guy and falling head over heels in love.

But not yet...

This is where I think the author and I agree, however I don't think it's true in all young couples. I'm not mature enough to be in a relationship or even be married. I have poor communication skills (but, actually, the world would be better if it could just read my mind); I get highly impatient, and, at the end of the day, I still need copious amounts of alone time. I don't know who I'm going to be tomorrow, let alone a few years down the line. Heck, I couldn't even tell you with total certainty in what country I'll be living. The only reason I do like the idea of marrying young is the crutch. That crutch of a partner in crime to experience growing up together, that person who I know I can rely on... Graduating and growing up has always terrified me, and that "safety blanket" of a husband does bring on  little stings of wishful thinking. 

But at the end of the day, I like this being alone thing. I wrote a post when I was still nineteen, and I don't think too much of that has changed now that I'm nearly half way through being 21. There's a lot I want to do for me, and I don't want to consider someone else in those decisions. I want to travel the world on a whim, sprawl out in my bed as much as I want or even just have my living space the exact way I want it--toilet lid down, lights off, laundry everywhere. Who knows? I'm still growing. I have yet to go on a day (still!), I have yet to meet anyone who makes me want to puff out my chest a little more and try to flirt, and I have yet to figure me out. 

While I can't wait to meet the One, or even the kind of One, or even the Horrible Mistake, I'm pretty okay with being with me, myself, and I. I've been this way since 1992, and it's been working for me so far. Do I think some people, especially people my age, get married for all the wrong reasons? Of course! Do I also think some young people get it right early and seem pretty darn happy? Of course! I don't feel entitled or somehow evolved because I like being single at 21, but I also don't feel utterly pathetic either (which, when you think about it, is good since my 12-year-old self had plans for marriage and pregnancy by 23...). Sure I'm still big spoon-less, and I'm still waiting for that fireworks kiss (or even a mere romantic one at best), but it's not a wait that's putting strain on me. 

No, what's really putting strain on me right now is waiting for the next A Song of Ice and Fire installment...

No comments :

Post a Comment