1.14.2015

[TV Talk] Outlander

So guess what show I just watched in the span of the past few days? To be fair, "Outlander" only has 8 episodes out so far, but what a swift 8 hours that was.
P L O T: The year is 1945, and WWII has just come to a close. Claire Beauchamp Randall is reunited with her husband, Frank Randall, after they have each served England as a nurse and as a soldier. They decide to go to Scotland for a second honeymoon to get to know one another again. One day Claire touches a rock at Craigh na Dun, and she suddenly finds herself transported to 1743, a time when Scotland was still fighting against England's new control. In a state of utter confusion, she is confronted by her husband's ancestor, Black Jack Randall, who physically looks like Frank but is quite the opposite. She is then taken by a Scottish clan, the MacKenzies, and must find a way to get back to Craigh na Dun and her husband. As time passes, and she earns the trust of this clan through her healing capabilities and twentieth century knowledge, she finds herself drawn into the politics of Scotland as well as a new relationship with Jamie McTavish/Fraser, nephew to the clan leader.
"The circle at Craigh na Dun marks a place on the Earth where the powers of nature come together--for certain people on certain days, it allows them to pierce the veil of time."
T H O U G H T S: Ahhh this show is so much better than I was expecting! One of my friends was absolutely obsessed with this show back when it originally aired, but I was much more skeptical. After all, she was also obsessed with Fifty Shades of Grey, and I have my reservations about that series (i.e. the writing is so bad I want to puke into a sock). However, this past weekend I decided, "Why not?" I was blown away. The actors are absolutely fantastic, and while this is mainly a historical drama, there are elements of comedy that had me bursting out laughing. Caitriona Balfe as Claire has these beautiful voice overs (which I feel is an incredibly hard thing to not overact), and she plays the part of a twentieth century woman stuck in the eighteenth century beautifully. Sam Heughan is wonderful as Jamie. I'm super apprehensive about what's going to happen in the latter part of season one (since Starz split the season in half) given what I know from the book synopsis, but I have a feeling Heughan is going to blow us away. 

Anyhow, watch this show. It's adventurous, romantic, funny, and extremely well done. The psychological aspects of this show, which were beginning by the season's end, are really going to bring up interesting points as the series progresses. And, of course, if you don't fall for Jamie a little bit by the end, than I don't quite know what to say. Let's just say this: #OutlanderWedding. That is all.

[image source]

No comments :

Post a Comment