12.22.2014

9 Wintry Movies

I hate winter. It's freezing cold; it gets dark way too early, and all I want to do is eat creamy soup, drink copious amounts of hot chocolate, and hibernate until the first day it gets over 60 degrees. The only thing I like about winter is snow, and that's like the first day before it turns into black slush. However, this winter I have vowed to not let the dropping temperatures get the best of me. I will not get fat, I will not be lazy, and I will try to embrace the feeling of icy wind charging at my cheeks. The best way to do this? Winter movies, of course! I love Christmas movies, but I'm sure there's a trillion lists out there, so I'll keep mine to a more winter theme which also has a lot of Christmas intertwined throughout. 
BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY
The best movie ever, am I right?! I love Bridget Jones, and I love Mark Darcy, and this pretty much got me through the end of high school and a bit of college. I may or may not have reenacted the "All By Myself" scene more than once....
"I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say very inarticulately is that, um, in fact perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are."
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
Classic. So classic. So sweet. The ending makes me cry every time. George Bailey is the best, and I could watch this movie over and over again, This is probably my very favorite of the whole list. The romance of George and Mary, the friends that return, and, of course, Clarence. Good, ole Clarence.
"What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word, and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary."
THE HOLIDAY
I just re-watched this the other day with some villa mates. I forgot how awesome this movie is! From the idea of vacationing in an idyllic English cottage to soaking up sun in an LA mansion, it's some fun escapism with some pretty sweet romance. Can you believe this is already eight years old now?! 
 "Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend."
LOVE ACTUALLY
I literally just watched this on Sunday. It's a modern classic by far, and I could probably watch it randomly at any point in the year and still love it. I love how clever it is, and how not cookie-cutter a lot of the plots where. Of course, my favorite is Colin Firth's story line! And not only because it's Colin Firth. My only main criticism of the film is this: How on earth could Sarah let Karl go like that? If the guy makes you jump up and down in the stairwell like that, you silence your damn phone.
"It's a terrible, terrible mistake, Chubs, but you turn out to be the f***ing love of my life. And to be honest, despite all my complaining, we have had a wonderful life."
THIS CHRISTMAS
Ah the days when Chris Brown was the adorable youngster singer... This is my dad's favorite movie, so of course I have to add it here! Also, let's be honest, the whole movie could have sucked and the dance line at the end would've made it awesome. And of course, how do you not love Loretta Devine?
"Kelli: Um, this is not funny.
Lisa: No, it's not, but I'm going to keep drinking until it is."
NEW YEAR'S EVE
If you can't tell I have a soft spot for ensemble movies like this. I know they get so much flack, but I could watch them over and over again. Growing up, I always saw New Year's Eve as such an exciting night. The sparkling dresses, the anticipation of the clock striking midnight, celebrating the old, and welcoming the new... Even now that I'm older and have yet to experience an actually exciting New Years (I feel like I've always worked the next day or babysat or watched it in bed...), I still feel like there's something romantic about it. The stories here were cute, and the ending had me tearing up (as per usual...). It sells the kind of magic I love.
"...Because the one thing that turns the world from the longing place to a beautiful place...is love. Love and any of its forms. Love gives us hope... Hope for the new Year. That's what New Year's Even is to me. Hope and a great party!"

THE POLAR EXPRESS
Frankly this movie is a work of art. I remember reading the picture book as a kid and thinking the ending was just perfect, and I love that the movie managed to capture the same feeling and add more to the plot. Also Josh Groban singing at the end... I mean, c'mon. Side note: what do you think of not letting your kids believe in Santa? I'm torn, but I have a feeling I'll be a parent who still lets my kids believe. Kids should get as much magic as they can when they're young. 
"Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."
FROZEN
I mean, come on. You can't have a list of winter movies without Frozen. This movie was a classic the moment in came out. My elementary schoolers love it. My college friends love it, My parents will watch it with us. It makes the idea of being in an ice castle in some sort of thick winter almost appealing. The cold might not bother you anyway, Elsa, but it most certainly bothers me.
"Some people are worth melting for.
ANASTASIA
This is tied for my favorite animated movie ever. And it takes place in winter. Who can forget Anastasia's "Journey to the Past"? Or just about every song in this movie. Or Anastasia's ever changing hair? Or the amount of sass exchanged between Dimtri and Anastasia? Or the fact that the two eloped and presumably went off to live in happiness ever after on a ship. Ah, this movie and its perfection never gets old. I used to want a blue dress like the one she wears to the opera. And the song "At the Beginning" is going to be my wedding song. My thirteen-year-old self determined that, and it's stuck throughout the years. Now it just depends on what language it will be in. 
"Sophie: "It's a perfect ending.
Dowager Empress Marie: No. It's a perfect beginning."

Am I missing any? I know, no classics like Christmas Story or The Grinch or Elf. Truthfully, while I like all those movies, they were never my favorites, and I never reached for them on my own accord. Can't believe Christmas is only days away!

all images from the internet, just edited together by me