1.28.2015

[The Boss Life] A Writer Living in New York

writer in new york
I’m so excited to introduce you all to the first boss of 2015, my friend, Darcy Zink! In case you're wondering what I mean, check out The Boss Life Intro.

Anyhoo, I met Darcy way back when I was a senior in high school, and she was my overnight host for an English major/swimming weekend. That was five years ago, in case you’re counting. While she was a freshman when I met her, nowadays she’s sort of an artist of all trades, with her main passion lying in writing. She will soon be adding published author to the top of her long list of accomplishments. Her young adult novel, Afterglow, is set to be released in late 2015/early 2016.

You should know from the start that Darcy is a through and through Baltimorian, raised from birth in the Towson area, her blood running purple from her undying support of the Ravens.

“I’m going to always, no matter where I end up, choose Baltimore because that is where I’m from, and I’m unbelievably appreciative… Baltimore shaped me into the person I am, the person I will always be.”

However, about a year ago, Darcy did what a lot of us like to think we’ll do, but never actually do. She packed her bags and moved to the Big Apple.

“The city of New York always interested me, mostly from my many seasons of watching ‘Sex and the City’ and ‘Gossip Girl.’ Two months after I began modeling, I decided (on a completely impulsive whim) to submit my portfolio and head shot to a modeling camp in Manhattan during Fashion Week. Less than two days later, I got a call saying I was in… Modeling was my ultimate reason for moving up to New York. After a week of over a dozen castings, I signed with two agencies and moved up here, but my writing and the opportunities New York presents for me is the sole reason why I stay here.”

In case you’re rolling your eyes, thinking, “Of course! That’s how she’s funding her stay in NYC, she’s a freaking model. I could focus on my writing career if I was a model too,” think again. Darcy works hard for everything she has in this city, from working three different jobs just to make rent, being constantly rejected in both the publishing and modeling world, and even having hellish moments like “trucking through two feet of snow in five inch heels just to get to five minute castings.”

“There were many times where I second guessed myself and my writing after what seemed like hundreds of rejections from literary agents, times where I couldn't muster up the strength in the city any longer and had to return to Baltimore for a week to regain my mental strength. However, I’m grateful for all those negativities because I grasped the ability to sift through all the meaningless junk in my life until I settled on who I really am and what I want to do with my life.”
Darcy has recently taken a step back from modeling, which has allowed her writing to take the forefront of her life. As a writer living in New York, her days start at 6:30 a.m., walking to work on Fifth Ave and ending her days with editing Afterglow, a novel she is “infinitely satisfied with." After facing a series of rejections, “almost every day,” and experiencing a rut so bad she didn't even think about writing for a month, Darcy has taken a hobby that started when she was five and transformed it into a career.

“My favorite part of writing is, most definitely, having the leisure to tell my own story. I love taking the time to step away from myself to focus on a character I created and to elaborate on a story that includes their struggles, their accomplishments, etc. It sounds strange, but my favorite part of writing is the actual writing. I will never get bored when I sit at a computer and type until I can’t type any longer.”
"A modern woman should pursue everything in life that makes her happy without any second guesses. She should not allow anyone or anything to make her feel as though she is not good enough."
So, what advice does she have for all of us dreamers out there as someone who took her dream and made it a reality? 

“Don’t give up. I know that’s the sort of vague, cliched advice people hear every day, but really, do not give up on your dreams. If you truly believe you are meant to do something, find a way to make that happen, but understand that it may not be your Plan A or your Plan B. Be open to change, whether that means changing your goals or changing yourself. Don’t deny change because it seems frightening o unorthodox. Embrace it, and utilize it as a stepping stone towards finding your calling.”

Look out for Darcy as Afterglow becomes available in hardback, paperback, Kindle, and audio this year! Meanwhile as an official writer living in New York, she will be networking, working on her second novel, and looking towards more travel.

Book tour, maybe?

Here are some ways to keep up with Darcy: Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr 

No comments :

Post a Comment